Day 68 - $1,831

OK... So I promised that this blog would document my experience as I try to reach one million dollars in one year for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. right...

Well, I knew this would come sooner or later, and I'm sure there will be more of these days to come - but I guess today was my first "discouraging" day. (I'm sorry if you are just finding out about Give One Million, and this is the first post you are reading... I'm usually very positive - I promise - But I said I would let everyone know how things are going... good or bad. So that's what I'm going to do.)

First... many people have helped so much so far, and given a lot. And for that I am VERY thankful! So, please don't take that post to mean I don't appreciate everything everyone has done so far!!! OK.. now that I said that - let me vent a little.

I think we are well on our way to making our goal of one million dollars - but I guess I thought in my mind that 2+ months into this, I would have a few more people backing Give One Million and/or donating. I thought there would be a few people out there willing to run with me on this. I mean... I'm talking to people nearly every day about Give One Million. I explain what I'm doing, where the money is going, and who it's helping - and 99% of the people seem to pretty much ignore me. I ask people to donate 5 or 10 dollars, and you'd think I just asked them to give up their firstborn child. I was a missionary for 2 years - so trust me - I know rejection... but for some reason, I didn't think "give up a lunch out and send the 5 bucks to help a kid with cancer" would be that hard of a sale... I think I was wrong. It's pretty hard.

I know you are getting hit up all the time to give money to someone. I'm in the same boat. So that means I know all the excuses. But if you think about it... We aren't getting hit up that much. And even if you did donate 5-10 dollars every time someone asked for a donation - would it really break your bank that much??? I know for me it wouldn't, and I'm guessing that 90% of the people reading this blog are just as well off, if not better off than I am. I'm a few hundred dollars into this - and not to mention coming up on about 500 hours of time invested (yes - I did say 500 hours... this is like my second full time job - just ask my wife), and do I have a few hundred dollars just to give away... No. But I am giving it - because I think it's important to give, when I've been blessed with so much. All I'm saying, is doing Give One Million has really opened my eyes to the fact that I need to be more giving and generous when people are asking for my donations. I definitely think twice now before I just say no (or ignore them).

Back when I was in college, I had a friend from Hawaii. We were sitting in the computer lab one day, and he said he was going to grab something to eat. I didn't think much of it - and just keep working. When he came back, he had not only bought himself a lunch, but bought something for me as well. He didn't have any more money than I did, (we were very poor college students) but he bought me lunch. It wasn't much, but I was sort of caught off guard. Later that day we were having a discussion about something, I don't remember what - and that topic of giving came up. He told me that where he grew up in Hawaii, everyone gave everything they had. EVEN IF THEY DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH FOR THEMSELVES! Then he told me that it worked out though, because everyone gave, So if he gave away his only food to a friend who needed it - he would be fine, because someone else would give to him. Then he told me something, that I'll never forget. He said he was surprised when he came to the continental US that it didn't work that way. He said he had to consciously think to stop giving so much, because when he first got here he would give, give, give, and buy stuff for everyone - expecting others would be the same way... and before he knew it he was broke as a joke, and nobody would share with him... I think about that conversation with him often... it's too bad we can't more like those people in Hawaii.

OK, sorry if I was ranting. I just wanted to let you know how it's going. Don't worry Mom - I'm OK - I'm not giving up. I'm not giving up in the least. In fact, it's days like these that make me even more committed to telling everyone about Give One Million.

Sorry if this was a little bit of a guilt trip - but I just had to get it out... So I'll keep on keepin on: If you are reading this right now DONATE for crying out loud! Tell all your friends. I know you may not be as passionate about reaching this goal as I am... but I'm just asking for a little bit of help.... Just a little. And if I can get you to pry open your wallet for a measly 5 buck to help a child that is fighting cancer... well, like I tell my son nearly every day: I should only have to ask once!

Talk Soon,

David

Help me reach one million in one year. Donate now!

No comments:

Post a Comment